The Gulflander at Blackbull, 9 July 2008. RM93 leads 1800 Class trailers TP1809 and TP1811.
Year of entry into service:
13.4 t (1809); 23.2 t (1811)
13.1 m (1809); 14.6 m (1811)
37 (1809); 45 (1811)
The 1800 Class are aluminium-body rail motors that were introduced in November 1952. All 24 were in operation by the end of June 1954, providing greater size and power than earlier rail motors in Queensland. A total of 12 power cars coded RM and 12 trailers coded TP entered service, and they generally operated as four-car trains. Most of their service was in regional areas, but they also operated in Brisbane. Number 1811 was built as a power car but became a motor inspection car in 1982. In 1992 it was converted to a trailer car for service on the Gulflander between Normanton and Croydon, along with 1809, which was built as a trailer car.