44 Class

 

4471 and S300 approaching Sydney’s Enfield Yard from the south with an intermodal freight, 9 April 2010.

Road numbers:

4458, 4461, 4463, 4471, 4477, 4483, 4488, 4497–8

 

Operator:

Qube Logistics

 

Gauge:

1435 mm

 

Year of entry into service:

1957

 

Number built:

100

 

Model:

DL500B

 

Manufacturer:

AE Goodwin

 

Manufacturing location:

St Marys, NSW (4401–3, 4405, 4407, 4411, 4413, 4415, 4417, 4419, 4421, 4423, 4425, 4427, 4429, 4431–8); Auburn, NSW (4404, 4406, 4408–10, 4412, 4414, 4416, 4418, 4420, 4422, 4424, 4426, 4428, 4430, 4439–100)

 

Engine:

Alco 251B

 

Traction power:

1342 kW

 

Wheel arrangement:

Co-Co

 

Weight:

112.0–114.0 t

 

Length:

16.9 m

Commencing service in 1957, the 44 Class were widespread in freight and passenger train haulage throughout New South Wales.  A total of 100 units eventually entered service. They were built to a similar design as the earlier South Australian Railways 930 Class. While most of the 44 Class were eventually scrapped, some are still used by Qube Logistics and others have been preserved.