Side of RM93 at the head of the Gulflander at Blackbull, 9 July 2008.
Year of entry into service:
Ten RM rail motors with Gardner diesel engines were built by Queensland Railways at Ipswich Workshops in Brisbane from 1937. Eight had entered service by the end of 1940, but RM93 did not enter service until 1950. Each rail motor entered service with two matching trailers. As well as providing a passenger service, they were also used to transport mail, parcels and other small goods. They mostly saw service in regional locations throughout Queensland. All were withdrawn in 1970 and 1971, except RM93, which was converted to become the General Manager's inspection car at Rockhampton in 1972, and then returned to rail motor seating and was transferred to Normanton for service on the Gulflander in 1982. RM93 continues to form the Gulflander with two 1800 Class trailers.